Young Leaders is a five-month leadership programme for young people aged 18-25 that we are delivering in partnership with Dame Kelly Holmes Trust in the Sheffield area.
The programme is aimed at motivated young people, who want to make positive differences within their communities and who are particularly interested in improving health and wellbeing of others. This could be through physical activity, nutrition, or wellbeing activities.
Sessions are delivered by Dame Kelly Holmes Trust athlete mentors. The Trust works with world class athletes, who are trained up to use their unique experience from the world of competitive sport to give young people a starting block in life that they may not otherwise have.
This is a fantastic personal development opportunity for those involved, and a chance to learn and work alongside elite athletes, develop skills and have a real impact on the local community.
The programme will be delivered in 21 training sessions across 21 weeks. Each session will be 2-2.5 hours in duration by two Trust athlete mentors. As part of the programme, you will have the opportunity to play a supportive role, working alongside your mentor, within a local school-based programme, and put some of this training into practice.
Who are we looking for?
- 20 motivated, young people aged 18-25
- Young people with a desire to make a positive impact in their community, club or society.
- A passion to help other people improve their health and wellbeing.
- A motivation to learn, improve and develop as a person.
- Commitment to attend a 21 week programme every week. Each session will be 2 – 2.5 hours in duration
What qualifications are needed?
Qualifications are not a requirement. We are looking for young people with a positive attitude, who are committed to making a difference in their local community.
The five-month training programme will include the following topics:
- How to build a team
- Facilitation and delivery skills
- Understanding community issues
- Understanding health and wellbeing and how to support others
- Mental health awareness
- First Aid Qualification
- Child protection and safeguarding Qualification
- How to plan successful sessions and programmes
- Mentoring skills
- How to tell YOUR story
- Public speaking and media training
- Networking and Influencing
- Project management
By the end of the programme the Young Leaders will:
- Improve their understanding of the determinants of health and wellbeing
- Improve their teamwork, leadership, communication and project management skills
- Develop their coaching and mentoring skills
- Develop their ability to plan, deliver and evaluate inclusive health and wellbeing activities
- Strengthen their networking, influencing and relationship-building skills
- Increase their motivation and ability to act as agents of change in the local community
Find Out More
For more information about Young Leaders, please contact Amber on